Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Recycled Folders Book Arts

I have a bunch of workshops coming up in March: kites, book arts, mixed media corsages, mixed media hats and two Earth Day assemblies. So I am blogging a lot these days to keep my thoughts organized. I am starting to prep materials for the various projects. Tonight I snipped the points off of bamboo skewers for the kite project. I am also cutting folders for a book arts project. I designed a book project using cool international stamps that were given to me by Deborah Corsini, the Curator of the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. She also gave me the stamps my students used in The Peace Thoughts animation last year. We will also be using folders donated by Clif Bar. These folders were going to be recycled and I got a big box of them from my sister who works at Cilf Bar. Thank you Deborah and thank you Clif Bar!

The children will be given an enlarged image of a stamp and each child will be given a sheet with info about the country of origin and a small map of that country. The child will then choose snippets of information to include in the book and create a diorama on the Clif Bar folder. I think this will be a fun way to teach a little about geography and the history of stamps.
Below are a few of the stamps Deborah gave me.
























I will post detailed info on this project on my workshop section of my website soon:
http://www.okadadesign.com/workshop.html

Below are images of the Clif Bar folders and the prototype I made. I just completed cutting the folders up (it took 1 hours and 30 minutes to cut 25 book forms with the windows). I'll be getting the ribbon at SCRAP in San Francisco on my next craft supply run. SCRAP is an awesome inexpensive resource for art materials. If you are in th
e Bay Area and do any kind of art, it is so worth checking out! http://www.scrap-sf.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment