Saturday, March 1, 2014

Mobile Maker Cupcake Cart

Mobile Maker cart for 3D printing.
I am working on putting together a playful pushcart to take a 3D printer and other maker activities out onto the street. It will look like a cupcake and 3D printed objects will dangle from a pink umbrella. The first event for this mobile 3D printer cart will be during the Nikkei Matsuri in San Jose Japantown on April 27th. My kids and I will be setting up the cart next to Roy's Station on 5th Street from 9:30am-1:30pm. Here is a past posting on this: cupcake pushcart project. I will be applying a lot of what I learned in the Serving of Shapes public 3D printing project.
Above: Composite sketch of cart with 3D printer.
Background photo is Empty by Benson Kua, (CC BY-SA 2.0) Flickr.
Foreground cupcake cart created by my dad, David Okada.

Empty lot on Jackson Street across from Roy's Station in San Jose Japantown, CA. At some point in the future, I hope to set up my 3D printing/ maker cart here. For now I will be setting up the cart next to Roy's Station on 5th and Jackson Street.
This pop up 3D printing activity will invite the public to engage in 3D printing and 3D designing (using SketchUp or Tinkercad) in an otherwise empty space. I am toying with the idea of inviting people to design modern day netsuke in the form of cell phone charms or zipper pulls. I will bring cording so that once objects are printed, people can place a colorful cord through them and dangle them from their phones or jacket zippers. More on Netsuke here: http://gaukartifact.com/glossary/netsuke/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment