Friday, October 2, 2009

Reflecting on Hawaiian Textile History
























I am starting to distill ideas for a grant application letter of intent. The collaboration I hope to fund would examine Hawaiian Aloha textiles and garments designed by a Alfred Shaheen. It would explore the divergence and threads of commonality between the exported image of Hawaii and the actual Hawaii lived by Japanese Hawaiians.

Here is a digital sketch of one component of the project. This hanging curtain of pattern pieces would be composed of sample work in progress pattern shapes. The pattern pieces will be digitally printed with images of my textile designs. The installation would also include pattern pieces in the shape of objects from Hawaii plantation era and perhaps silhouettes echoing the diverse cultures of Silicon Valley today. Already some of the pattern shapes remind me of Hawaiian objects...such as poi pounders.

The above is just a rough concept. I really need to iron out the whole project and make it tightly fit. I visualize working with Colleen Quen, an amazing San Francisco fashion designer. The partnering nonprofit would be The San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles.

I am really excited about the possibility of creating my own textile prints that reflect a fading visual vocabulary of the Japanese Hawaiian experiences. This grant would enable me to explore that direction and to bridge my digital skills with my fine art mixed media skills.

Here is a company that will print digital textiles. I have read great things about it and look forward to testing them out: Spoonflower.

This production service in Scotland looks amazing. Centre For Advanced Textiles at The Glasglow School of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment