Monday, May 11, 2009

Kite Handles for Wornick Jewish Day School Workshop



















Above: kite handles

May is a busy month. I think many schools schedule their art programming towards the end of the year. I have a fun artist residency coming up on Wednesday atThe Wornick Jewish Day School in Foster City. I will be conducting kite making workshops. There will be about a hundred students participating.











I made a hundred kite handles from cardboard cereal boxes, tea boxes, and cracker boxes. I could have bought plastic kite handles, but making them reflects the way kites are made in most of the world...with recycled objects.

Emily and I added bits of Asian food wrappers to each kite handle to pretty them up and to illustrate that we can use mundane artifacts from our daily lives to make things.

No comments:

Post a Comment